Re: HOT for PostgreSQL 8.3

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Nikhil S" <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: HOT for PostgreSQL 8.3
Date: 2007-02-07 21:52:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/7/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Heap Only Tuples ("HOT") is a simplification of earlier proposals for
> > improving the way the server handles frequent updates, based upon what's
> > been learned and feedback received.

> Uhmmm... how often is that the case? Don't get me wrong, bravo but that
> seems a rather large limitation.
>
> Considering it, this would certainly be a boon in web space where you
> have things like Rails doing:

HOT is great for tables that are updated frequently via triggers or
cron right? so it this eliminate the need to vacuum foo following
executing:
update foo set v =1 where id =1;
where v is not an index, right?

if so, it would be great all kinds of things, especially
materialization techniques. or any situation where a table is updated
so frequently autovac can't keep up. I can think of tons of places
where this would be useful.

merlin