Re: Performance problem with Sarge compared with Woody

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Piñeiro <apinheiro(at)igalia(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance problem with Sarge compared with Woody
Date: 2006-09-12 01:53:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 9/11/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> wrote:
> I'd suggest two things.
>
> one: Get a better ERP... :) or at least one you can inject some
> intelligence into, and two: upgrade to postgresql 8.1, or even 8.2 which
> will be released moderately soon, and if you won't be going into
> production directly, might be ready about the time you are.

for 3 months I ran a 400M$ manufacturing company's erp off of a
pre-beta 8.0 windows pg server converted from cobol using some hacked
out c++ middleware. I remember having to change how the middleware
handled transactions when Alvaro changed them to a checkpoint
mechanism. I also remember being relieved when I no longer had to
manually edit pg_config.h so nobody would notice they would notice
they were running a beta version of postgresql had one of the
technical people casually logged into psql. I scraped out almost
completely unscathed except for a nasty crash due to low stack
allocation of the compiler on windows.

the point of all this? get onto a recent version of postgresql, what
could possbily go wrong?

merlin