Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Aly Dharshi" <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net>
Cc: "Stanislaw Tristan" <admin(at)zestad(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit
Date: 2006-04-28 03:33:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/27/06, Aly Dharshi <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net> wrote:
> Yes, if you search the archives there was something on this. Maybe it was around
> 32-bit, but nonetheless, take a search through.

There is a patch in the queue written by Magnus Hagander right now
which allows pg to build from the microsoft C compiler. In theory,
this should allow pg to build 64 bit on windows with little or no
modifcation.

Another take is the Interix/SUA approach. I've had PostgreSQL sources
unmodified working on windows as far back as 7.4. I haven't looked at
it since the new R2 stuff came out, but if you are feeling adventerous
you might want to try and get SUA pgsql working on 64 bit.

Either of these approaches could work, but expect to be hacking around
wierd problems. There is decent chance pgsql will be officially
supported on windows as of 8.2, scheduled for release this summer.

The current windows build environment, mingw, does not support 64 bit
and doesn't look like it is going to in the near future.

merlin