Re: What do the Windows pg hackers out there like for dev tools?

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What do the Windows pg hackers out there like for dev tools?
Date: 2006-02-11 00:40:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On 2/10/06, Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net> wrote:
> Subject line says it all. I'm going to be testing changes under both
> Linux and WinXP, so I'm hoping those of you that do M$ hacking will
> pass along your list of suggestions and/or favorite (and hated so I
> know what to avoid) tools.

If you mean hacking postgresql source code, you pretty much have to
use the built in make/build system...this more or less rules out IDEs
and such.

I like UltraEdit for a text editor. Another good choice for editor is
source insight. Winmerge is a fantastic tool and you may want to
check out wincvs/tortoisesvn if you want to do checkouts from the gui.

Of course, to make/build postgresql in windows, you can go with cygwin
or mingw. cygwin is a bit easier to set up and has a more of a unix
flavor but mignw allows you to compile native executables.

The upcoming windows vista will most likely be able to compile
postgresql without an external build system.

Merlin