iso-8859-1 and utf-8

From: "Claus Guttesen" <kometen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: iso-8859-1 and utf-8
Date: 2008-09-25 07:59:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi.

I found out by accident that my db-dump, at least in ver. 8.3.3,
automagically converts from iso-8859-1 to utf-8. Our db has been
around since January 2000 and iso-8859-1 was chosen back then as
encoding. When I occasionally imported the nightly dump to a test-db
it would complain very early during the import and abort if the
encoding was incorrect. I think this was also the case with 8.3.1
although I'm not certain.

Yesterday I did another import on my test-db and this was created with
utf-8 as encoding. The import did not complain and I ended up with an
utf-8-db which is what we have aimed at in the near future. Our web
had some iso-8859-1-quirks which we have solved.

I've started to plan a migration to utf-8. I assume it requires a
complete db-dump, delete the iso-8859-1-db, create an utf-8-db and do
an import. Previously I had piped the dump through iconv to convert
but this does not seem to be a requirement any longer.

--
regards
Claus

the gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare