Re: Split copy.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Soumyadeep Chakraborty <soumyadeep2007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erikjan Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Split copy.
Date: 2020-11-17 10:38:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for feedback, attached is a new patch version.

On 11/11/2020 21:49, Soumyadeep Chakraborty wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 1:30 AM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
>> I also split/duplicated the CopyStateData struct into CopyFromStateData
>> and CopyToStateData. Many of the fields were common, but many were not,
>> and I think some duplication is nicer than a struct where you use some
>> fields and others are unused. I put the common formatting options into a
>> new CopyFormatOptions struct.
>
> Would we be better off if we sub-struct CopyState <- Copy{From,To}State?
> Like this:
> typedef struct Copy{From|To}StateData
> {
> CopyState cs;
> // Fields specific to COPY FROM/TO follow..
> }

Hmm. I don't think that would be better. There isn't actually that much
in common between CopyFromStateData and CopyToStateData, and a little
bit of duplication seems better.

> 6.
>
>> /* create workspace for CopyReadAttributes results */
>> if (!cstate->opts.binary)
>
> Can we replace this if with an else?

Seems better as it is IMO, the if- and else-branches are not really
related to each other, even though they both happen to be conditioned on
cstate->opts.binary.

Fixed all the other things you listed, fixed a bug in setting
'file_encoding', and trimmed down the #includes.

- Heikki

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Split-copy.c-into-three-files.patch text/x-patch 293.1 KB