postgresql caching

From: "Kris" <kkiger(at)depauw(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql caching
Date: 2003-02-28 20:10:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Does anyone know how postgresql handles caching? Say, for example, I have a
large database. One that is larger than the available chunk of shared
memory I have set aside. Will postgresql try and cache frequently queried
tables to memory, will it try to cache frequently used query results to
memory only, or both? Thank you for the help.