Re: PgAdmin problem

From: Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgAdmin problem
Date: 2003-02-21 19:33:22
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Agrawal, Manish wrote:

> 2. On another note, is there a tool like the MS Access front end that lets
> you create constraints graphically by simply dragging and dropping columns
> between tables and views by simply dragging columns from the respective
> tables into the design window.

You might be pleased wit OpenOffice : The 643 version, with the newer
("snapshot") ODBC drivers by Hiroshi Inoue is quite efficient at emulating
the "query" interface of MS-Access.

But keep in mind that MS-Access (and OO's) abilities are limited in this
respect. For one thing, they won't accept subselects as column sources. If
you need that, you have to define a view, and use it as a column source, or
define your query/view in server-side SQL (you may fool around with cut and
paste and many "query definition" windows.

One thing that you won't be able to do with OOo is to define
crosstabulation queries/views. Fortunately, the spreadsheet allows you to
define "data pilot" zones that give you "almost the same" functionality, as
far as you don't need crosstab *views*.

I think that in 7.3, one may define a function writind dynamycally a big
"left outer join" query and returning the corresponding set of rows, which
would be a tad closer. But what's the point ?

> 3. Also, updatable views would make Postgresql so much easier to use.

You may do that, but yu'll have to define the update function by yourself.
The reason is that determining what should be the "update" rule is
intrinsically *hard* in the general case. See "The rule system" chapter and
following in the Postgres server programming manual.

The limited abilities of MS-Acces views (no subselects, for example) makes
easier the building of a "reasonable" update rule. No such luck in Postgres !

> The reason I ask is that if that were the case, PostgreSQL would be
> enormously popular beyond expectations. At the very least, introductory
> database courses in business schools could so easily use PostgreSQL instead
> of MS Access.

<Rant>

Huh ?

The only reasonable database systems course in a buisness school should be
given with a M-16 ... ;-] More seriously : any "manager" I've seen trying
to tackle a database problem ended up with his/her head so up his/her a*se
that one had to call for a *thoracic* surgeon.

Every time.

The reason seems to be that they seem to be allergic to Codd's algebra (or
any kind of algebra past elementary linear algebra used in accounting and
elementary calculus). Even physicians, of all types, seem more suited to
database design and use ...

</Rant>

Hope this helps,

Emmanuel Charpentier