PHPs PDO, apache and "never ending sessions"

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: PHPs PDO, apache and "never ending sessions"
Date: 2008-03-07 02:01:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Not sure whether this is the right place to ask (probably isn't)
but I've seen much mention of PHP and some of PDO on this
list ...

I'm currently playing with the above, today I got a message
"FATAL: connection limit exceeded for non-superusers"
even though there were no sessions I was aware of open.

A bit of poking around with ps and lsof showed me that a PHP
application I closed days ago (no browser open) was still active
tying up backend sessions; the problem went away when I
restarted my apache. Is this "normal behaviour"? How do I
deal with it under normal circumstance, am I just supposed
to increase the number of allowed connections and not worry
about apache holding sessions open even after the "client"
has long gone?

Versions of products in question:
apache2 2.2.8 (Unix)
PHP 5.2.5
postgres 8.3

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.