Re: postgres arithmetic: raising to nth power

From: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: nasr(dot)laili(at)tin(dot)it, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres arithmetic: raising to nth power
Date: 2005-09-29 22:34:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Hi all,

> testing a few arithmetic calculations to make sure I understood how
> they worked before including them in a a query I met with the following
> results:
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

Except for the fact that you encounter rounding errors (which
shouldn't come as a surprise with an exponent of 54) everything
seems to work "normally" as far as I'm concerned.

If you need arbitrary precision don't do the calculation using
a select statement but rather utilise CLN or some other special
maths library.

Cheers,
Andrej