Re: integrate Postgres Users Authentication with our own LDAP Server

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: M Tarkeshwar Rao <m(dot)tarkeshwar(dot)rao(at)ericsson(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "'postgres-discuss(at)mailman(dot)lmera(dot)ericsson(dot)se'" <postgres-discuss(at)mailman(dot)lmera(dot)ericsson(dot)se>, "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Aashish Nagpaul <aashish(dot)nagpaul(at)ericsson(dot)com>
Subject: Re: integrate Postgres Users Authentication with our own LDAP Server
Date: 2019-05-09 06:42:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 04:51 +0000, M Tarkeshwar Rao wrote:
> We would need to integrate Postgres Users Authentication with our own LDAP Server.
>
> Basically as of now we are able to login to Postgress DB with a user/password credential.
>
> [roles "pg_signal_backend" and "postgres"]
>
> These user objects are the part of Postgres DB server. Now we want that these users should be authenticated by LDAP server.
> We would want the authentication to be done with LDAP, so basically the user credentials should be store in LDAP server
>
> Can you mention the prescribed steps in Postgres needed for this integration with LDAP Server?

LDAP authentication is well documented:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-ldap.html

But I don't think you are on the right track.

"pg_signal_backend" cannot login, it is a role to which you add a login user
to give it certain privileges. So you don't need to authenticate the role.

"postgres" is the installation superuser. If security is important for you,
you won't set a password for that user and you won't allow remote logins
with that user.

But for your application users LDAP authentication is a fine thing, and not
hard to set up if you know a little bit about LDAP.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe