Add tests for UNBOUNDED syntax ambiguity

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Add tests for UNBOUNDED syntax ambiguity
Date: 2021-06-24 09:01:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As many will be aware, there is a syntactic ambiguity in the SQL
standard regarding the keyword UNBOUNDED. Since UNBOUNDED is a
non-reserved word, it could be the name of a function parameter and be
used as an expression. There is a grammar hack to resolve such cases as
the keyword.

I brought this issue to the SQL standard working group, and a fix has
been agreed. (Since long-standing syntax obviously can't be changed,
the fix is basically just an additional rule saying, "if you see this,
it means the keyword".) While working on that, I wrote a few test cases
to explore this and check how PostgreSQL actually handles this. I
figure these test cases are worth committing so that we have a record of
this and future grammar refactorings can maintain the behavior.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-tests-for-UNBOUNDED-syntax-ambiguity.patch text/plain 7.7 KB