Re: scram and \password

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scram and \password
Date: 2017-03-12 00:10:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/11/2017 03:15 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Yeah but it can be called as well while the application is calling
> PQgetResult() and still looping until it gets a NULL result. Not sure
> if this is a use-case to worry about, but sending a query to the
> server in PQencryptPassword() could as well break some applications.

I was suggesting sending the query outside of PQencryptPassword() in
order to determine what method should be passed as a new argument to
PQencryptPassword().

> PQencryptPassword() is used for CREATE/ALTER ROLE commands, so
> actually wouldn't it make sense to just switch PQencryptPassword to
> handle SCRAM if at some point we decide to switch the default from md5
> to scram? So many questions.

As long as we support more than one method it would seem to me we need a
way to determine which one we want to use and not only default it, don't
we? Apologies if this has already been discussed -- I was not able to
follow the lengthy threads on SCRAM in any detail.

>> I guess a related problem might be, do we have a SQL visible way to
>> determine what method is used by the current password for a given role?
>
> Nope. We are simply looking at a function doing a lookup at pg_authid
> and then use get_password_type() to check which type of verifier is
> used... Or have the type of verifier as a new column of pg_authid,
> information that could be made visible to any users with column
> privileges.

What happens if the user does not have privs for pg_authid? E.g. if I
want to change my own password what happens if the default is one
method, and my password uses the other -- now I cannot change my own
password using \password?

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com