Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after

From: marcin mank <marcin(dot)mank(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after
Date: 2010-02-15 13:50:03
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Yes, the issue with initdb failing is unrelated (and I have no problem
about the fs being unsupported). But fsync still DOES fail on
directories from the mount.

>> But I would not be that sure that eg. NFS or something like that won`t
>> complain.
> It does not.

What if someone mounts a NFS share from a system that does not support
directory fsync (per buildfarm: unixware, AIX) on Linux? I agree that
this is asking for trouble, but...

Greetings
Marcin Mańk