Re: per table random-page-cost?

From: marcin mank <marcin(dot)mank(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: per table random-page-cost?
Date: 2009-10-19 22:17:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've been thinking about this a bit, too.  I've been wondering if it
> might make sense to have a "random_page_cost" and "seq_page_cost"
> setting for each TABLESPACE, to compensate for the fact that different
> media might be faster or slower, and a percent-cached setting for each
> table over top of that.

I thought about making it per-table, but realistically I think most
people don`t use tablespaces now. I would not want to be telling
people "to be able to hint the planner to (not) index-scan the table,
You must move it to a separate tablespace".

A global default, a per-tablespace default overriding it, and a
per-table value overriding them both seems like over-engineering to
me.

Greetings
Marcin