Matrix (linear algebra) operations and types in PG?

From: "Webb Sprague" <webb(dot)sprague(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Matrix (linear algebra) operations and types in PG?
Date: 2007-03-25 17:09:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

This is just a random question/idea (I tried googling, but couldn't
get an answer quickly):

Has anyone written a library to effect linear algebra types and
operations through Postgres? E.G., convert a float 2-d array to a
matrix, convert a float 1-d array to a vector, multiply them, take the
matrix power, calculate eigenvalues, some easy functions for
converting tables to matrices, etc. This might be extremely useful to
some of the data analysis folks out there--I would have used it a year
ago on a project.

It seems like a fairly straightforward project, which would consist
primarily in hooking up the LAPACK libraries and defining some types
and operations. Is there something tricky that I haven't foreseen?

If I had the summer free, I would apply for a google summer of code
project (hint to the world...).