Re: sequences, moving from 8.0.4 to 8.1 ?

From: Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zlatko Matić <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sequences, moving from 8.0.4 to 8.1 ?
Date: 2005-10-21 18:29:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/21/05, Zlatko Matić <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr> wrote:

> I was reading release notes for 8.1 and there is something about changes
> concerning replacing ::text with ::regclass in default clauses. There is a
> query in Release notes, that should be executed to update dump from previos
> versions.
> But, even without it, I see that all serial fileds in my database were
> updated authomatically during restore from dump ?! I restored only globals
> and schema from dumpall backup...

Even without running the script, your database should keep working.
Are you sure that the expressions are actually not using ::text
anymore? Normally they will keep the ::text, and only to change to the
new system should you use the script. Most people *do* want the new
behavior though, so run it :-).

greetings,
Nicolas

--