Re: Let's get rid of the separate minor version numbers for shlibs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Let's get rid of the separate minor version numbers for shlibs
Date: 2016-08-15 22:45:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/15/16 5:11 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Eh? Last I checked, we needed minor version bumps to ensure that
> binaries compiled against later versions, which might use newer symbols,
> don't try to link against older libraries (which wouldn't have those
> symbols).

Let's review:

What we install is

libpq.so.5.8 (actual file)
libpq.so.5 -> libpq.so.5.8
libpq.so -> libpq.so.5.8

The second one is the one used at run-time, looked up by SONAME.

The third one is the one used at build time, because -lpq means look for
libpq.so.

If we instead installed

libpq.so.5 (actual file)
libpq.so -> libpq.so.5