Re: Mailing list setup issue

From: "Chris Velevitch" <chris(dot)velevitch(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-04-27 08:44:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/27/06, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> wrote:
> > In addition, it's not the norm. I subscribe to lots of mailing lists
> > and postgresql.org lists are the only ones that I've seem do that.
> >
> > So what's the reasoning behind this choice?

The author of that articles states:-

"One day I accidentally sent a private, personal reply out over one of
my own damn lists."

It's like he accidentally drove down a one way street in the wrong
direction, so he now drives everywhere in reverse, just in case it
happens again. He obviously got surprised by that, in the "Principle
of Least Surprise", it surprises me to find only one person gets my
response.

This article is 4 years old and he is unix user who prefers elm as a
mail reader. I'm fine with his choice, but I use 3 mailer readers
(gmail, outlook, opera) and none of them have a the same features as
elm.

I think it's an inappropriate choice given the current norms.

Chris
--
Chris Velevitch
Manager - Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group