Affect of Reindexing on Vacuum Times

From: "Y Sidhu" <ysidhu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Affect of Reindexing on Vacuum Times
Date: 2007-07-25 18:53:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am wondering if reindexing heavily used tables can have an impact on
vacuum times. If it does, will the impact be noticeable the next time I
vacuum? Please note that I am doing vacuum, not vacuum full.

I am on a FreeBSD 6.1 Release, Postgresql is 8.09

Currently I seeing a phenomenon where vacuum times go up beyond 1 hour.
After I re-index 3 tables, heavily used, the vacuum times stay up for the
next 3 daily vacuums and then come down to 30 to 40 minutes. I am trying to
see if there is a relationship between re-indexinf and vacuum times. All
other things remain the same. Which means the only change I am performing is
re-indexing.

--
Yudhvir Singh Sidhu
408 375 3134 cell