Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Ishaan Adarsh <ishaanad9(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation
Date: 2023-12-19 15:48:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.12.23 11:49, Ishaan Adarsh wrote:
> 1. Added a new section titled "Quick Start Guide" to both PL/pgSQL and
> PL/Python documentation.
> 2. Included step-by-step instructions for users to get started with
> these procedural languages.
> 3. Provided explanations, code snippets, and examples to illustrate key
> concepts.

The way I read it, that's not really what your patch does. Your patch
explains how to write an extension in PL/pgSQL and PL/Python,
respectively. Which is okay, I guess, but a bit unusual. But I
wouldn't call that an unqualified "quick start" in the respective
languages. Also, it seems to repeat the very basics of setting up an
extension file structure etc. repeatedly in each chapter.

The existing documentation has "explanations, code snippets, and
examples". Are they not good? Do you have more? Better ones? Why are
yours separate from the existing ones?

I think it would be useful to take a step back here and define the
purpose of a bit clearer.