Re: still memory leaks with libpgtcl

From: Gerhard Hintermayer <g(dot)hintermayer(at)inode(dot)at>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: still memory leaks with libpgtcl
Date: 2003-01-09 11:06:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Here's a short answer on my posting "deep Tcl_Channel question" to c.l.t.

>>Can anybody of the tcl-gurus please enlighten me.
>>I have a problem with the tcl extension to the postgreSQL database.
>>The extension wraps a client channel around an existing TCP-Socket
>>(which ist created by an external library).
>>The problem is, that the closeProc of the created Tcl_Channel is
>>sometimes called with interp NULL and sometimes with a valid interp.
>>Some tcl-functions are very unhappy with passed NULL-interp (e.g.
>>Tcl_DontCallWhenDeleted).
>>
>>My question is: When is the close proc passed a valid interp and when
>>a NULL pointer as parameter ?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Gerhard

>Off hand, I think Tcl_Close() is called with a NULL interp when Tcl is
>shutting down. Or, if the channel was never associated to a particular
>interp with Tcl_RegisterChannel().
>
>If you use Tcl_RegisterChannel(), you might not need to use a
>Tcl_InterpDeleteProc for Tcl_CallWhenDeleted().
>--
>David Gravereaux <davygrvy(at)pobox(dot)com>
>[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway,alpha sector]

This is just like I did see it, in a normal interpreter shutdown and in
case of an error interp is NULL, and a valid interp else. So I think it
is ok, to check for NULL interp berfore calling Tcl functions that don't
check for NULL pointers themselves.

Tom are you happy with that explanation ?

Gerhard