Re: select on multiple tables

From: Rene Pijlman <rpijlman(at)wanadoo(dot)nl>
To: "Carterette, Ben" <bcarterette(at)mail(dot)liberty(dot)k12(dot)mo(dot)us>
Cc: "'pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: select on multiple tables
Date: 2001-08-20 19:48:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:50:22 -0500, you wrote:
>The SELECT is in a servlet, something like this:
>
>rs = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM " + request.getParameter("table1") +
>", " + request.getParameter("table2"));
>session.setAttribute("result", rs);
>request.sendRedirect(request.getParameter("page2"));
>
>that's a simplification of what it does, but it's good enough for
>demonstration I think.
>
>The .jsp file that calls the servlet knows what tables it wants to read out
>of, and the .jsp file that the servlet redirects to knows what columns it
>wants. The servlet doesn't know anything and hopefully shouldn't care. I
>wanted to abstract it as much as possible.

How about using ResultSetMetaData.getColumnName() on the
ResultSet to dynamically query the column names? See:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/sql/ResultSetMetaData.html

I don't know that this will (and should) return when you do
SELECT * from A, B and there is a column c in both tables.
Hopefully it returns A.c and B.c.

Regards,
René Pijlman