Re: 9.2beta1, parallel queries, ReleasePredicateLocks, CheckForSerializableConflictIn in the oprofile

From: Sergey Koposov <koposov(at)ast(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.2beta1, parallel queries, ReleasePredicateLocks, CheckForSerializableConflictIn in the oprofile
Date: 2012-05-25 22:53:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 25 May 2012, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> can you hack this in heapam.c and see if it helps?
> line 131-ish:
>
> if (!RelationUsesLocalBuffers(scan->rs_rd) &&
> scan->rs_nblocks > NBuffers / 4)
> becomes
> if (!RelationUsesLocalBuffers(scan->rs_rd))
>
> (also you can set the partition count back).

The first few runs of my test with the suggested change made the
multithreaded queries even slower by a factor of two.
E.g. 44 seconds for multithreaded vs ~ 7sec single threaded.
(with the default 9.2beta I get ~ 14-22sec for multithreaded run)
But now after another few reruns of my test, i see again this variability
in times for multithreaded runs. It went down to 18-22seconds. Then again
to 44 sec. So overall the change you suggested either doesn't improve
the situation or makes it worse .

Regards,

Sergey E. Koposov, PhD, Research Associate
Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge
Madingley road, CB3 0HA, Cambridge, UK
Tel: +44-1223-337-551 Web: http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~koposov/