Proper Permissions for /usr/local/pgsql/data

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Proper Permissions for /usr/local/pgsql/data
Date: 2010-12-01 21:48:59
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm manually replacing -8.3.3 with -9.0.1 I have the old data/ directory
and pg_dumpall files safely stored. Following the directions at:
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-upgrading.html>, step
#5 I see this:

postgres(at)salmo:~$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locales
COLLATE: C
CTYPE: en_US
MESSAGES: en_US
MONETARY: en_US
NUMERIC: en_US
TIME: en_US
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to LATIN1.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... initdb:
could not change permissions of directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data": Operation
not permitted

The directory /usr/local/pgsql/data is owned by me; what should the
permissions be so I don't get that error message above?

TIA,

Rich