Re: Problems With New Installation -- FIXED

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems With New Installation -- FIXED
Date: 2009-01-26 00:12:57
Lists: pdxpug

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Jon Scully wrote:

> Did you upgrade from, say, 8.3.3 to 8.3.5?

Jon,

Not on the laptop. I had not been running postgres on it before.

> Newer rc script can be found here (look for "rc.postgresql.new"):
> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.1/system/postgresql/

That's what the build/installation script installed as rc.postgresql.

> At the least, change from / to:
> su postgres -c 'postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data &'

This is what the script is supposed to do. But, ... ta da! ... running it
manually from the command line (su'ing first to postgres, then starting the
postmaster) did work after I removed the stale socket.

Thank you,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | Integrity Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Innovation