PostgreSQL reads each 8k block - no larger blocks are used - even on sequential scans

From: Gerhard Wiesinger <gerhard(at)wiesinger(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL reads each 8k block - no larger blocks are used - even on sequential scans
Date: 2009-09-27 16:03:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

As blocksizes, random I/O and linear I/O are critical I/O performance
parameters I had a look on PostgreSQL and a commercial software vendor.

Therefore I enhanced the system tap script:
http://www.wiesinger.com/opensource/systemtap/disktop_gw.stp

Output per 5 seconds on a sequence scan:
UID PID PPID CMD DEVICE T BYTES REQUESTS BYTES/REQ
26 4263 4166 postmaster dm-1 R 168542208 20574 8192
=> 32MB/s

So I saw, that even on sequential reads (and also on bitmap heap scan
acces) PostgreSQL uses only 8k blocks. I think that's a major I/O
bottleneck.

A commercial software database vendor solved the problem by reading
multiple continuous blocks by multiple 8k blocks up to a maximum
threshold. Output per 5 seconds on an equivalent "sequence scan":
UID PID PPID CMD DEVICE T BYTES REQUESTS BYTES/REQ
1001 5381 1 process dm-1 R 277754638 2338 118800
=> 53 MB/s

A google research has shown that Gregory Stark already worked on that
issue (see references below) but as far as I saw only on bitmap heap
scans.

I think this is one of the most critical performance showstopper of
PostgreSQL on the I/O side.

What's the current status of the patch of Gregory Stark? Any timeframes
to integrate?
Does it also work for sequence scans? Any plans for a generic "multi block
read count" solution?

Any comments?

Thnx.

Ciao,