Re: Postgres auditing features

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH <sharmi_jo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres auditing features
Date: 2009-06-11 21:27:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:

> Does postgresql have any build-in auditing features like in Oracle's total-recall or fine grained auditing

There's nothing built-in, but it's not too difficult to build such
facilities yourself. I'm quite sure you could find someone who would be
hapy to build you a very extensive implementation of such a feature
customized for your application for less than an Oracle license costs.

Simple example right in the official docs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-trigger.html#PLPGSQL-TRIGGER-AUDIT-EXAMPLE

Project targeting this feature: http://pgfoundry.org/projects/tablelog/

Background information and other sample implementations:
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/simple-data-auditing-19014
http://www.go4expert.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7252
http://www.alberton.info/postgresql_table_audit.html