Re: Scalability in postgres

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, Flavio Henrique Araque Gurgel <flavio(at)4linux(dot)com(dot)br>, Fabrix <fabrixio1(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Scalability in postgres
Date: 2009-06-02 04:23:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, 30 May 2009, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> 8.04 was a frakking train wreck in many ways. It wasn't until 8.04.2
> came out that it was even close to useable as a server OS, and even
> then, not for databases yet. It's still got broken bits and pieces
> marked "fixed in 8.10"... Uh, hello, it's your LTS release, fixes
> should be made there as a priority.

Ubuntu doesn't really have LTS releases, they just have ones they claim
are supported longer than others. But as you've also noticed, they really
aren't. All they really offer is long-term critical security fixes for
those releases, that's it. The longest I've ever gotten an Ubuntu box to
last before becoming overwhelmed by bugs that were only fixed in later
versions and not backported was around 2 years.

...but now we're wondering way off topic.