Re: Bloated Table

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, Alexander Schöcke <asc(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bloated Table
Date: 2009-05-27 22:25:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 27 May 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's an interesting exercise in trying to estimate bloat without
> groveling through the whole relation

Interesting and an extremely common request. I just added an item to the
Vacuum section of the TODO list while you were listing issues and
potential solutions here: "Provide more information in order to improve
user-side estimates of dead space bloat in relations" links to this
thread.

As pointed out upthread, there's a fair number of people who have picked
up on this particular query for bloat estimation. It seemed accurate
enough for gross maintenance use when I did a quick check of its results
before, but those were tables without variable widths, TOAST, etc. This
is one of those boring tasks that DBAs really want more
monitoring-friendly visibility into.