Re: Huge sample dataset for testing.

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Huge sample dataset for testing.
Date: 2009-04-28 18:30:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Tim Uckun wrote:

> Does anybody know if there is a sample database or text files I can
> import to do some performance testing? I would like to have tables with
> tens of millions of records if possible.

There is a utility that ships with PostgreSQL named pgbench that includes
a simple schema (4 tables) and a data generator. The generator
initialization step takes a database scale factor and creates 100,000
records per unit of scale. So a scale of, say, 500 would give you 50M
records. These tables are pretty simple, just having some ID number keys
and simulated bank accounts balances.

If you want a more complicated schema, you might try one of those from the
various DBT projects. See
http://www.slideshare.net/markwkm/postgresql-portland-performance-practice-project-database-test-2-howto
for an intro to DBT2, which gives you 9 tables you can populate in various
ways to play with.