Re: Maximum transaction rate

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum transaction rate
Date: 2009-03-18 23:00:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> Generally PG uses O_SYNC on open

Only if you change wal_sync_method=open_sync. That's the very last option
PostgreSQL will try--only if none of the other are available will it use
that.

Last time I checked the defaults value for that parameter broke down like
this by platform:

open_datasync (O_DSYNC): Solaris, Windows (I think there's a PG wrapper
involved for Win32)

fdatasync: Linux (even though the OS just provides a fake wrapper around
fsync for that call)

fsync_writethrough: Mac OS X

fsync: FreeBSD

That makes the only UNIX{-ish} OS where the default is a genuine sync
write Solaris.