Re: List Message Footer

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List Message Footer
Date: 2009-03-18 03:27:19
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think the footer is full enough and I just don't see enough demand for
> URL lookups to warrant it.

You could make an argument that anything that makes the whole mailing
list/Commitfest interface easier is worthwhile to implement even if there
isn't much demand outside of that context.

In addition to that, I know I regularly come across messages in the
archives via web searching that lead me to list aggregators like MarkMail,
and since the message ID can't always be found at those it's painful to
then track that back to where they were in the archives in order to get a
permanent URL. This proposal won't fix that for the old messages already
over there, but those will decrease in proportion moving forward.
Probably increase visibility to using the archives too.

As for making the footer longer, you might compress the existing bits like
this: