Re: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alastair McKinley <a(dot)mckinley(at)analyticsengines(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes
Date: 2022-06-03 18:25:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

>> I've looked into it. This behavior is triggered by the fact that "psql" is
>> trying to keep notices and results in some logical order.
>>
>> The issue did not arise before because intermediate results where coldly
>> discarded, so it did not show whether they were discarded before of after
>> some notice was already shown:-)
>>
>> If notices are to be shown "right away", it means that some notice may be
>> shown *before* the previous result has been shown, just because psql may
>> not have had time to process it and they are just sent through the protocol
>> and arriving for the next result, as shown with the attached patch on
>> non-regression tests:
>>
>> SELECT 1 AS one \; SELECT warn('1.5') \; SELECT 2 AS two ;
>> +NOTICE: warn 1.5
>> +CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function warn(text) line 2 at RAISE
>> one
>> -----
>> 1
>> (1 row)
>>
>> -NOTICE: warn 1.5
>> -CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function warn(text) line 2 at RAISE
>> warn
>> ------
>>
>> Now the second statement warning is shown before the first statement
>> output. I'm pretty sure that the initial order shoul show up from time to
>> time, just because of the underlying race condition.
>>
>> Would this be okay? It simplifies the code significantly, but introduces
>> possible race conditions in the output, which could be hidden from the non
>> regression tests by removing the tests…
>
> This would be the simplest solution.
>
>> If notices are to be shown "right away" when processing a result, but not
>> quite "right away" when the previous result is not yet finished, this is
>> probably achievable but would require some effort and not so clear code.
>
>> Maybe psql could not get the next result when we do not need to know which
>> is last, but the execution would have somehow 2 different paths. I have to
>> try to see how terrible or not the resulting code would be.
>
> I've tried that (see v2 attached), but it does not work as I hoped: the fact
> that a result has not yet been extracted does not preclude the server from
> sending the notices relating to a statement, so delaying the getResult does
> not fix the display order problem in anyway. I was quite naïve.
>
>> Another approach could be do drop the "only show the last result"
>> compatibility, because then "psql" would not need to know that a result is
>> the last, which requires to trigger the next one before closing the
>> previous one, hence opening the race condition.
>
> That would not work, either, for the reason stated above.
>
> In order to have the best of both world, this requires more hopus-pocus:
> accumulating the notices *but* displaying them as soon as dealing with a
> statement is done *and* also while waiting for getResult. I see how I can try
> to reduce a lot the out-of-order window… but not how to fully get rid of it.

After more investigation and quite a few variants, the end result is that
you cannot have the best of both words in all cases, i.e. instantaneous
notices while keeping the order of results and their notices. The
underlying reason for that is that some cases (gexec and others,) need to
know which result is last because they need to to something special about
it, which always requires to wait for the next result before doing
anything with the previous one, so if the next one takes time, then the
previous one is somehow suspended.

In the previous setting, because intermediate results where coldly
skipped, the user could not see whether notices for one statement where
coming before or after some result, so all was well hidden, you just got
the notices as they were sent and the final result displayed. The
underlying truth was that it depended:-)

My short term recommendation is to remove the attempt at keeping the
notice/result order for a tradeoff of getting the notices as soon as they
are emitted, i.e. basically patch 1 and the acceptance of the diffs,
called 1-bis in the attached. Alternatively, the attached patch 3 keeps
the order in the simple case, but not in the gset case, at the price of
some complexity. I would not bet too much that these codes are immune to
race conditions.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-notices-1-bis.patch text/x-diff 5.1 KB
psql-notices-3.patch text/x-diff 8.1 KB