Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2022-01-04 07:55:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Peter,

> With this "voluntary crash", the regression test output is now
>
> psql ... ok (test process exited with exit
> code 2) 281 ms
>
> Normally, I'd expect this during development if there was a crash somewhere,
> but showing this during a normal run now, and moreover still saying "ok",

Well, from a testing perspective, the crash is voluntary and it is
indeed ok:-)

> is quite weird and confusing. Maybe this type of test should be done in
> the TAP framework instead.

It could. Another simpler option: add a "psql_voluntary_crash.sql" with
just that test instead of modifying the "psql.sql" test script? That would
keep the test exit code information, but the name of the script would make
things clearer?

Also, if non zero status do not look so ok, should they be noted as bad?

--
Fabien.