Re: [HACKERS] WIP aPatch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com, m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP aPatch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Date: 2021-07-10 17:19:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

> Of course, users themselves should be careful of problematic script, but it
> would be better that pgbench itself avoids problems if pgbench can beforehand.
>
>> Or, we should terminate the last cycle of benchmark regardless it is
>> retrying or not if -T expires. This will make pgbench behaves much
>> more consistent.

I would tend to agree with this behavior, that is not to start any new
transaction or transaction attempt once -T has expired.

I'm a little hesitant about how to count and report such unfinished
because of bench timeout transactions, though. Not counting them seems to
be the best option.

> Hmmm, indeed this might make the behaviour a bit consistent, but I am not
> sure such behavioural change benefit users.

The user benefit would be that if they asked for a 100s benchmark, pgbench
does a reasonable effort not to overshot that?

--
Fabien.