Re: pgbench bug candidate: negative "initial connection time"

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench bug candidate: negative "initial connection time"
Date: 2021-06-18 13:58:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> /* must be something wrong */
>>> pg_log_error("%s() failed: %m", SOCKET_WAIT_METHOD);
>>> goto done;
>>
>> Should say such like "thread %d aborted: %s() failed: ...".

After having a lookg, there are already plenty such cases. I'd say not to
change anything for beta, and think of it for the next round.

>> ====
>> errno = THREAD_BARRIER_INIT(&barrier, nthreads);
>> if (errno != 0)
>> + {
>> pg_log_fatal("could not initialize barrier: %m");
>> + exit(1);
>>
>> This is a run-time error. Maybe we should return 2 in that case.

I think that you are right, but there are plenty such places where exit
should be 2 instead of 1 if the doc is followed:

"""Errors during the run such as database errors or problems in the script
will result in exit status 2."""

My beta take is to let these as they are, i.e. pretty inconsistent all
over pgbench, and schedule a cleanup on the next round.

>> ===
>> if (thread->logfile == NULL)
>> {
>> pg_log_fatal("could not open logfile \"%s\": %m", logpath);
>> - goto done;
>> + exit(1);
>>
>> Maybe we should exit with 2 this case.
>
> Yep.

The bench is not even started, this is not really run time yet, 1 seems
ok. The failure may be due to a typo in the path which comes from the
user.

>> If we exit this case, we might also want to exit when fclose() fails.
>> (Currently the error of fclose() is ignored.)
>
> Not sure. I'd let it at that for now.

I stand by this.

>> + /* coldly abort on connection failure */
>> + pg_log_fatal("cannot create connection for thread %d client %d",
>> + thread->tid, i);
>> + exit(1);
>>
>> It seems to me that the "thread %d client %d(not clinent id but the
>> client index within the thread)" doesn't make sense to users. Even if
>> we showed a message like that, it should show only the global clinent
>> id (cstate->id).
>
> This is not obvious to me. I think that we should be homogeneous with what is
> already done around.

ok for only giving the global client id.

>> I think that we should return with 2 here but we return with 1
>> in another place for the same reason..
>
> Possibly.

Again for this one, the bench has not really started, so 1 seems fine.

>> /* must be something wrong */
>> - pg_log_fatal("%s() failed: %m", SOCKET_WAIT_METHOD);
>> + pg_log_error("%s() failed: %m", SOCKET_WAIT_METHOD);
>> goto done;
>>
>> Why doesn't a fatal error cause an immediate exit?
>
> Good point. I do not know, but I would expect it to be the case, and AFAICR
> it does not.
>
>> (And if we change this to fatal, we also need to change similar errors in
>> the same function to fatal.)
>
> Possibly.

On second look, I think that error is fine, indeed we do not stop the
process, so "fatal" it is not;

Attached Yugo-san patch with some updates discussed in the previous mails,
so as to move things along.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-conn-abort-4.patch text/x-diff 2.8 KB