Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench
Date: 2021-03-21 08:49:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> V3 works for me and looks ok. I changed it to ready in the CF app.
>>
>> Thank you for your review!
>
> Unfortunately it seems cfbot is not happy with the patch.

Argh. Indeed, I did not thought of testing on a partitioned table:-( ISTM
I did "make check" in pgbench to trigger tap tests, but possibly it was in
a dream:-(

The feature is a little disappointing because if someone has partition
tables then probably they have a lot of data and probably they would like
freeze to work there. Maybe freeze would work on table partitions
themselves, but I do not think it is worth the effort to do that.

About v4 there is a typo in the doc "portioning":

<command>pgbench</command> uses FREEZE option with 14 or later
version of <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> to speed up
subsequent <command>VACUUM</command> if portioning option is not
specified.

I'd suggest:

<command>pgbench</command> uses the FREEZE option with 14 or later
version of <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> to speed up
subsequent <command>VACUUM</command>, unless partitions are enabled.

--
Fabien.