Re: pgbench: option delaying queries till connections establishment?

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marina Polyakova <m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pgbench: option delaying queries till connections establishment?
Date: 2021-03-13 08:08:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Thomas,

>> David Rowley kindly tested this for me on Windows and told me how to
>> fix one of the macros that had incorrect error checking on that OS.
>> So here's a new version. I'm planning to commit 0001 and 0002 soon,
>> if there are no objections. 0003 needs some more review.
>
> I made a few mostly cosmetic changes, pgindented and pushed all these patches.

Thanks a lot for pushing all that, and fixing issues raised by buildfarm
animals pretty unexpected and strange failures…

I must say that I'm not a big fan of the macro-based all-in-capitals API
for threads because it exposes some platform specific uglyness (eg
THREAD_FUNC_CC) and it does not look much like clean C code when used. I
liked the previous partial pthread implementation better, even if it was
not the real thing, obviously.

ISTM that with the current approach threads are always used on Windows,
i.e. pgbench does not comply to "ENABLE_THREAD_SAFETY" configuration on
that platform. Not sure whether this is an issue that need to be
addressed, though.

--
Fabien.