Re: Add table access method as an option to pgbench

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add table access method as an option to pgbench
Date: 2020-11-27 09:04:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello David,

Some feedback about v3:

In the doc I find TABLEACCESSMETHOD quite hard to read. Use TABLEAM
instead? Also, the next entry uses lowercase (tablespace), why change the
style?

Remove space after comma in help string. I'd use the more readable TABLEAM
in the help string rather than the mouthful.

It looks that the option is *silently* ignored when creating a
partitionned table, which currently results in an error, and not passed to
partitions, which would accept them. This is pretty weird.

I'd suggest that the table am option should rather by changing the default
instead, so that it would apply to everything relevant implicitely when
appropriate.

About tests :

They should also trigger failures, eg
"--table-access-method=no-such-table-am", to be added to the @errors list.

I do not understand why you duplicated all possible option entry.

Test with just table access method looks redundant if the feature is make
to work orthonogonally to partitions, which should be the case.

> By the way, I saw the same style for other variables, such as
> escape_tablespace, should this be fixed as well?

Nope, let it be.

--
Fabien.