RE: pgbench: option delaying queries till connections establishment?

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: pgbench: option delaying queries till connections establishment?
Date: 2020-11-11 12:23:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

>> I can remove the line, but I strongly believe that reporting performance
>> figures if some client connection failed thus the bench could not run as
>> prescribed is a bad behavior. The good news is that it is probably quite
>> unlikely. So I'd prefer to keep it and possibly submit a patch to change
>> the behavior.
>
> I agree such a situation is very bad, and I understood you have a plan to
> submit patches for fix it. If so leaving lines as a TODO is OK.

Thanks.

>> Should be this one: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/30/2624/
>
> This discussion is still on-going, but I can see that the starting time
> may be delayed for looking up all pgbench-variables.

Yep, that's it.

> (I think the status of this thread might be wrong. it should be
> 'Needs review,' but now 'Waiting on Author.')

I changed it to "Needs review".

> This patch is mostly good and can change a review status soon,
> however, I think it should wait that related patch.

Hmmm.

> Please discuss how to fix it with Tom,

I would not have the presumption to pressure Tom's agenda in any way!

> and this will commit soon.

and this will wait till its time comes. In the mean time, I think that you
should put the patch status as you see fit, independently of the other
patch: it seems unlikely that they would be committed together, and I'll
have to merge the remaining one anyway.

--
Fabien.