Re: TDE in PostgreSQL

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Євген Панченко <slamgp1987(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TDE in PostgreSQL
Date: 2020-07-10 11:52:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Hello, very hard to find some information about TDE ( Transparent Data
> Encryption ) in PostgreSQL. Could you answer my question?
> 1) Do PostgreSQL supported TDE ( Transparent Data Encryption )?

No, which explain why informations are hard to come:-)

This is not a bug, but the absence of a feature.

Note that encryption can occur at many levels, which level is relevant
depends on the threat model:
1. the app can encrypt data in tables
2. the database can encrypt its files
3. the os can encrypt a partition
4. the disks can encrypt their data

1. can be done with a pg extension (ISTM that several exist). 3. depends
on the OS (data at rest encryption), 4 depends on the hardware. Some
people are working on implementing some form of (2).

--
Fabien.