Re: Another modest proposal for docs formatting: catalog descriptions

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another modest proposal for docs formatting: catalog descriptions
Date: 2020-05-09 06:54:10
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Hello Tom,

> Here's a more fully fleshed out draft for this, with stylesheet
> markup to get extra space around the column type names.

I find this added spacing awkward, espacially as attribute names are
always one word anyway. I prefer the non spaced approach.

If spacing is discussed, should the layout rather try to align type
information, eg:

attribute type
description
---
foo bla
this does this and that ...
and here is an example about it
---
foo-foo-foo bla-bla
whatever bla bla blah bla foo foo foo ...
and stuff

I'm not sure how achievable it is from a xml & processing point of view,
and how desirable it is, I'm just throwing it for consideration.

--
Fabien.