Re: pg_ls_tmpdir to show directories and shared filesets (and pg_ls_*)

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_ls_tmpdir to show directories and shared filesets (and pg_ls_*)
Date: 2020-04-12 11:53:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Justin,

About v15, seen as one patch.

Patches serie applies cleanly, compiles, "make check" ok.

Documentation:
- indent documentation text around 80 cols, as done around?
- indent SQL example for readability and capitalize keywords
(pg_ls_dir_metadata)
- "For each file in a directory, list the file and its metadata."
maybe: "List files and their metadata in a directory"?

Code:
- Most pg_ls_*dir* functions call pg_ls_dir_files(), which looks like
reasonable refactoring, ISTM that the code is actually smaller.
- please follow pg style, eg not "} else {"
- there is a "XXX" (meaning fixme?) tag remaining in a comment.
- file types: why not do block & character devices, fifo and socket
as well, before the unkown case?
- I'm wondering whether could pg_stat_file call pg_ls_dir_files without
too much effort? ISTM that the output structure nearly the same. I do
not like much having one function specialized for files and one for
directories.

Tests:
- good, there are some!
- indent SQL code, eg by starting a new line on new clauses?
- put comments on separate lines (I'm not against it on principle, I do
that, but I do not think that it is done much in test files).

--
Fabien.