Re: Add A Glossary

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>, Roger Harkavy <rogerharkavy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Add A Glossary
Date: 2020-04-05 07:38:17
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Hi Corey,

>> ISTM that occurrences of these words elsewhere in the documentation should
>> link to the glossary definitions?
>
> Yes, that's a big project. I was considering writing a script to compile
> all the terms as search terms, paired with their glossary ids, and then
> invoke git grep to identify all pages that have term FOO but don't have
> glossary-foo. We would then go about gloss-linking those pages as
> appropriate, but only a few pages at a time to keep scope sane.

Id go for scripting the thing.

Should the glossary be backpatched, to possibly ease doc patchpatches?

> Also, I'm unclear about the circumstances under which we should _not_
> tag a term.

At least when then are explained locally.

> I remember hearing that we should only tag it on the first usage, but is
> that per section or per page?

Page?

>> As the definitions are short and to the point, maybe the HTML display
>> could (also) "hover" the definitions when the mouse passes over the word,
>> using the "title" attribute?
>
> I like that idea, if it doesn't conflict with accessibility standards
> (maybe that's just titles on images, not sure).

The following worked fine:

property is great.

So basically the def can be put on the glossary link, however retrieving
the definition should be automatic.

> I suspect we would want to just carry over the first sentence or so with a
> ... to avoid cluttering the screen with my overblown definition of a
> sequence.

Dunno. The definitions are quite short, maybe the can fit whole.

> I suggest we pursue this idea in another thread, as we'd probably want to
> do it for acronyms as well.

Or not. I'd test committer temperature before investing time because it
would mean that backpatching the doc would be a little harder.

>> Entries could link to relevant wikipedia pages, like the acronyms section
>> does?
>
> They could. I opted not to do that because each external link invites
> debate about how authoritative that link is, which is easier to do with
> acronyms. Now that the glossary is a reality, it's easier to have those
> discussions.

Ok.

--
Fabien.