Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2020-02-02 08:16:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Tomas,

> This patch was marked as ready for committer, but clearly there's an
> ongoin discussion about what should be the default behavoir, if this
> breaks existing apps etc. So I've marked it as "needs review" and moved
> it to the next CF.

The issue is that root (aka Tom) seems to be against the feature, and
would like the keep it as current. Although my opinion is that the
previous behavior is close to insane, I'm ready to resurect the guc to
control the behavior so that it would be possible, or even the default.

Right now I'm waiting for a "I will not veto it on principle" from Tom
(I'm okay with a reject based on bad implementation) before spending more
time on it: Although my time is given for free, it is not a good reason to
send it down the drain if there is a reject coming whatever I do.

Tom, would you consider the feature acceptable with a guc to control it?

--
Fabien.