Re: Add CREATE DATABASE LOCALE option

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add CREATE DATABASE LOCALE option
Date: 2019-07-22 22:18:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Peter,

>> About the pg_dump code, I'm wondering whether it is worth generating
>> LOCALE as it breaks backward compatibility (eg dumping a new db to load it
>> into a older version).
>
> We don't really care about backward compatibility here. Moving forward,
> with ICU and such, we don't want to have to drag around old syntax forever.

We will drag it anyway because LOCALE is just a shortcut for the other two
LC_* when they have the same value.

> How about this patch?

It applies cleanly, compiles, global & pg_dump make check ok, doc gen ok.

I'm still unconvinced of the interest of breaking backward compatibility,
but this is no big deal.

I do not like much calling strlen() to check whether a string is empty,
but this is pre-existing.

I switched the patch to READY.

--
Fabien.