Re: pgbench - add option to show actual builtin script code

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - add option to show actual builtin script code
Date: 2019-07-11 16:20:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Andrew,

>>> Now the patch is good now.
>>>
>>> The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer
>
> Why aren't we instead putting the exact scripts in the documentation?
> Having to call pgbench with a special flag to get the script text seems
> a bit odd.

A typical use case I had is to create a new script by modifying an
existing one for testing or debug. I prefer "command > file.sql ; vi
file.sql" to hazardous copy-pasting stuff from html pages.

I do not think that it is worth replicating all scripts inside the doc,
they are not that interesting, especially if more are added. Currently,
out of the 3 scripts, only one is in the doc, and nobody complained:-)

Now, they could be added to the documentation, but I'd like the option
anyway.

--
Fabien.