Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums
Date: 2019-03-22 13:59:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bonjour Michaël,

> Does that look fine to you?

Mostly.

Patch v9 part 1 applies cleanly, compiles, global and local check ok, doc
build ok.

On write(), the error message is not translatable whereas it is for all
others.

I agree that a BIG STRONG warning is needed about not to start the cluster
under pain of possible data corruption. I still think that preventing this
is desirable, preferably before v12.

Otherwise, my remaining non showstopper (committer's opinion matters more)
issues:

Doc: A postgres cluster is like an Oracle instance. I'd use "replicated
setup" instead of "cluster", and "cluster" instead of "instance. I'll try
to improve the text, possibly over the week-end.

Enabling/disabling an already enabled/disabled cluster should not be a
failure for me, because the cluster is left under the prescribed state.

Patch v9 part 2 applies cleanly, compiles, global and local check ok, doc
build ok.

Ok for me.

--
Fabien.