RE: Timeout parameters

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: "Nagaura, Ryohei" <nagaura(dot)ryohei(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>
Subject: RE: Timeout parameters
Date: 2018-12-26 07:40:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Ryohei,

>> Why?
>> ISTM that "leaving the job" to the server with a client-side connection
>> closed is basically an abort, no different from what server-side
>> "statement_timeout" already provides?
> "while leaving the job to the server" means that "while the server continue the job".
> # Sorry for the inappropriate explanation.
> I understand that "statement_timeout" won't.

I still do not understand the use-case specifics: for me, aborting the
connection, or a softer cancelling the statement, will result in the
server stopping the statement, so the server does NOT "continue the job",
so I still do not see how it really differs from the server-side
statement_timeout setting.

--
Fabien.